Rural jobs round up: October
In Rural Jobs Round Up you can find out about some current jobs in rural areas, and rural development vacancies.
Orkney LEADER Development Officer
- 35 hours per week
- Temporary cover for maternity leave up 14 months
- £30,352 - £33,893 (Including Distant Islands Allowance)
Orkney LEADER are looking for a Development Officer to take forward the delivery of the Orkney LEADER Programme including the community element of the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF). LEADER is part of the Scotland Rural Development Programme (SRDP) and is a funding programme primarily aimed at promoting economic and community development within rural areas.
They are looking for a LEADER Development Officer to work closely with the Orkney community to generate quality projects, which will increase the long term sustainability of the islands.
Prospective applicants are invited to discuss the post by contacting Phyllis Harvey – EU Liaison Officer, email Phyllis.email@example.com or telephone 01856 873535.
Closing date: 22 October 2017
Orkney Islands Council: LEADER Assistant Project Officer
Orkney LEADER are looking for an Assistant Project Officer to become an integral part of the LEADER team, delivering the 2 funding streams to Orkney communities. You will work closely with the LEADER Officer (s) and provided administrative and financial support to the Orkney Islands LEADER Local Action Group (LAG) and the Fisheries Local Action Group (FLAG) (the committees which take the decisions on funding).
Closing Date: Sunday 15 October 2017
Outer Hebrides LEADER - Development Officer, Balivanich
- Location: Comhairle nan Eilean Sair, Council Offices, Balivanich, Isle of Benbecula
- Salary: £11,142 - £12,423 per year
- Hours: 14.80 hours per week
- Contract Type: Fixed Term
You will support and contribute to the successful delivery of the Outer Hebrides LEADER and European Maritime & Fisheries Fund (EMFF) Programme 2014-2020; network with communities and businesses to identify, investigate and assess innovative development projects coming forward for LEADER funding; support clients in LEADER grant-claim procedures; assist in maintaining the public profile of LEADER through acting as animateur to support the stimulation, planning and implementation of projects and community capacity-building.
Closing date: Monday 23rd October 2017
Animal and Plant Health Agency - Animal Health Officers (2-year fixed appointment)
Support veterinary colleagues in disease control and surveillance activities
Inspection of relevant documentation, including animal movement, breeding, medicine and other written or electronic records in order to complete audits and assist in disease control and surveillance.
Collection of samples for National Surveillance Schemes including feed samples from farms, feed mills and feed merchants.
Collection of samples and information for disease surveys.
Potential to train as Lay TB tester.
Compliance inspections for premises handling animal by-products e.g. rendering plants, composting sites, hunt kennels and knackers yards.
Packing and dispatch of samples and the general care of equipment, including sterilisation and disinfection.
Closing date: 12 Oct 2017
Apply on Civil Service Jobs
Marine Scotland - Cook Steward
1. Full Ship’s Cook Certificate of Competency
2. Relevant STCW certification
3. Valid unrestricted ENG1 medical certificate
4. Food Hygiene Certification
5. Ability and willingness to work in the capacity of either Cook or Steward, dependent on vessel requirements
Closing date: 13 October 2017 at midnight
Forestry Commision - Administrative Officer, Edinburgh
To provide an efficient administration service to Forest Enterprise Scotland, Head Office and the FES Senior Team members based in Silvan House. The post will support the delivery of FES’s Business Services functions and act as lead contact for the diary management and scheduling of appointments for the senior team.
Closing date: 23 October 2017
Forestry Commission - Building Surveyor, Lochgilphead or Aberfoyle
The role covers the Forestry Commission Scotland buildings within Cowal and Trossachs, West Argyll and Lochaber Forest Districts. The post will be based at Lochgilphead or Aberfoyle Forest District Offices.
The post holder will work within the Business Support Services team and report directly to the Buildings and Capital Works Manager.
Closing date: 16 October 2017
Maritime and Coastguard Agency - Maritime Operations Officer, Stornoway
- Responding to emergency calls and acting as Mission Coordinator, assisting in the efficient management of Search and Rescue and Emergency Response operations.
- Managing and directing incident responses and resources, from inputting to planning, information gathering, analysis and evaluation, and providing support to partner organisations.
- Assessing and analysing requests for air support to incidents inland from the Police and the National Air Traffic Service, and distress alerts detected by spacecraft, making recommendations to senior officers and colleagues for further action.
- Receiving alerts and related information regarding Maritime Security, assessing the information and passing it to the most appropriate authority.
- Ensuring the preparedness and response to major emergencies through the maintenance and verification of appropriate records, databases and plans.
- Ensuring that all command & control and communications equipment is fully maintained and functioning correctly by reporting faults, carrying out first line maintenance and devising safe workarounds.
Closing date: 19 October 2017
Forestry Commission - Woodland Officer - Oban, Scotland
The purpose of the job is to carry out Grants and Regulation work, provide guidance to woodland owners and managers in the area and promote forestry within Perth and Argyll Conservancy. The post holder will help deliver the Scottish Forestry Strategy and the Conservancy Business Plan and will be based in Oban.
Assessment of new woodland creation proposals are a key part of the role, with scheme types varying from small farm woodlands to large productive conifer forests.
Closing date: 22 October 2017
Scottish Natural Heritage - Senior Software Developer, Inverness
- Work with colleagues to agree and implement coding standards, design patterns and version control workflows and to maintain appropriate documentation.
- Design, build, test and deploy RESTful web services using Java.
Closing date 26 October 2017
More details: SNH Website
Scottish Natural Heritage, Economist, Inverness
Provide micro-economics advice - to SNH staff on topics across SNH’s remit, including land use and management, wildlife management, biodiversity, rural development and marine issues.
- wildlife management (for example, managing species such as wild deer, geese)
- marine (including the development of marine protected areas)
- biodiversity - a range of advice on species and habitats (including advice on LIFE+ projects such as the Pearl Mussel project and invasive non-native species)
- land use and rural development - providing economics advice on growth sectors such as tourism as well as agriculture
- recreation and access (including issues such as long distance paths)
- wider economy - contributing to policy on sustainability and ecosystem services. An emerging area of work is promoting the concept of the Green Economy in Scotland; and contributing to the debate on different ways of measuring societal well-being.
Closing date: 8 November 2017
More details: SNH website
Scottish Natural Heritage, Operations Officer, Dingwall
The postholder will contribute to the delivery of Scottish Natural Heritage’s objectives within South Highland Unit. The post will principally deliver work in the Inner Moray Firth area, but will also be expected to be work flexibly throughout the area.The post’s main areas of work will include the provision of advice on protected areas to local authorities, competent authorities and land managers. They will also carry out monitoring of protected areas.
Closing date: 1 November 2017
More details: SNH website
Highlands and Islands Enterprise, Account Manager, Kirkwall
We have an exciting opportunity for an Account Manager to join HIE. In this key role you will work as part of the Orkney area team in our Kirkwall office, supporting a portfolio of businesses increase their impact in the local economy.
To be credible in this role you will bring relationship building skills, and a strong knowledge of economic and business development. An awareness of the Orkney business community and the sectoral opportunities present within the area is essential.
For more information click here. To apply click here.
Closing date: 22 October 2017
University of the Highlands and Islands, Lecturer Supply - Electrical Installation, Inverness
Required on an ‘as and when’ basis. Hourly rate payable on a scale of £23.59 - £26.90 per hour based on Vocational teaching and £26.67 - £30.41 per hour for 3rd year degree teaching. Closing date – Sunday 29 October 2017.
Closing date: Sunday 29 October 2017
University of the Highlands and Islands - School Link and Transition Coordinator (Fixed term contract)
This is an exciting role engaging young people with Inverness College. While covering the maternity leave of the current postholder, you will strengthen the range and depth of the College's links with Highland schools by arranging and undertaking visits to schools, coordinating visits to the College by school pupils and teachers and assisting with the organisation of school-college programmes. You will plan, develop and implement a range of promotional and guidance activities in schools to further understanding of Inverness College UHI and the opportunities we offer.
Closing date: Sunday 22 October 2017