Farm Advisory Service announce Women in Agriculture Events
A series of free events offering inspiration and advice for women working in Scottish agriculture has been announced by the Farm Advisory Service.
The women-only events, which will take place from the Borders up to Orkney, have been organised by the Scottish Government’s Farm Advisory Service (FAS) programme, which is delivered by specialists from SAC Consulting, part of Scotland’s Rural College (SRUC).
Taking place until 28 March, they will cover a range of topics, from accounts and mental health awareness to diversification opportunities and even the role of social media.
The events follow research by the Scottish Government’s Rural and Environment Science and Analytical Services Division (RESAS).
Last summer’s report, entitled Women in Farming and the Agriculture Sector, highlighted the major role women play in Scottish agriculture and recommended a series of measures to address the “conscious and unconscious bias” within the industry.
Siobhan Macdonald from SRUC, who helped to co-ordinate the events, said: “Women working in Scottish agriculture face a number of challenges but there are also many opportunities available. These free events are a great chance for women to find out more about these opportunities, to share ideas and to be inspired by a range of speakers.”
- 20 March (11am): The Craigellachie Hotel, Craigellachie, Morayshire – Food and Drink Diversification Opportunities
- 21 March (11am): Banchory Lodge, Banchory, Aberdeenshire – Diversification Opportunities
- 23 March (1.45pm): Inveraray Inn, Argyll – Livestock Records and Accounts
- 26 March: Inverness (venue TBC) – IACS and Grants and Social Media in Farming
- 27 March (11am): Ulbster Arms Hotel, Halkirk, Caithness – Diversification Opportunities
- 28 March (11am): Northern Hotel, Brechin – Diversification Opportunities
The events are free but places must be booked in advance. To find out more and to book a place, go to https://www.fas.scot/news/wia/