IT Kit for unemployed
Connecting Scotland is a Scottish Government programme set up to tackle digital exclusion during the coronavirus crisis.
Phase three is now underway and aims to remove barriers related to digital exclusion for unemployed young people and adults (aged 16+).
Organisations can apply for support on behalf of the people they work with. This includes:
- Digital devices – iPads and/or Chromebooks
- Internet connectivity – a mobile WiFi hotspot with 24 months unlimited data
- Training and support – for staff and volunteers to become ‘digital champions’ to support people to use the internet confidently and safely
Who is eligible?
Organisations can apply for support for people that they work with that meet all the following criteria:
- They are digitally excluded – they currently do not have access to an appropriate device and/or internet connection at home.
- They are from a low income household – they cannot afford to buy a device or pay for internet access from their household income (e.g. claiming or eligible for universal credit).
- They are actively taking steps to improve their employment prospects. This includes people furthest from the labour market who are not job ready but are undertaking activity to address any barriers to employment or training (e.g. confidence building, improving health or wellbeing, ESOL programmes)
- They are currently unemployed (see the FAQ's for more detailed guidance on the eligibility of people in short-term work placements or insecure employment)
Priority will be given to organisations working with people who are likely to have been affected most by the changes to the labour market over the past year, either due to existing inequalities or redundancy. This includes:
- Young people
- Disabled people
- Minority ethnic people
- Lone parents
- People experiencing other forms of socio-economic disadvantage
Getting online will help people access public services, support learning and training, help find or maintain work and reduce the risk of social isolation while coronavirus restrictions are in place.
Who can apply?
All public or third sector organisations that work to support people to address barriers to employment are eligible to apply.
SCVO will provide support for successful teams and organisations.
For further details and for how to apply, visit the Connecting Scotland website.
This application round is open until 5pm on Monday 27th September, with successful organisations receiving their devices in November and December.